Vanilla rolls appeared in the late 19th century in Austria. Namely, the oldest recipe for your favorite crispy biscuits is in the 1911 cookbook “South German cuisine for beginners and practical cooks”.The original name of vanilla rolls is Vanilla Kipferl.
1. Mix the ingredients and knead the dough until smooth.
2. Wrap in plastic foil and cool in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour. I usually make a bunch of similar cookie doughs in the evening and bake them the next day.
3. Shape your rolls. Roll a little sausage 4-5cm long and bend it around your finger to the shape of a roll. They should be similar in size, so the baking time is the same for all cookies on the tray.
4. Bake at 180°C until puffy and golden. In my oven, it’s around 10 minutes.
5. Prepare a bowl with powder sugar and vanilla sugar and roll the warm cookies in it. Sugar won’t stick to cold cookies.